General Dental Health: Tips for Maintaining a Healthy Smile
When it comes to general dental health, it’s all up to you. That is, if you take a few specific steps, you can easily improve your overall dental health, boost your confidence with a smile you like, and even enjoy coming in for dental care. Take the time to consider a few simple dental tips that can help you to maintain a healthy smile all of the time.
General Dental Health at Home
Your dental health starts at home. The way you treat and care for your teeth on a daily basis is going to directly determine what your dental health is long term. Consider these tips:
- Brush your teeth with a soft-bristled brush at least three times per day. This helps to remove plague and buildup and keeps your gums healthy.
- Use floss at least once a day, though twice is recommended. This is an important step in removing buildup that can get between teeth and out of reach of your toothbrush.
- Use a mouth rinse. These products help to kill germs and wash away bacteria.
- Avoid eating sugary foods or, if you do, be sure to brush right away.
- Know that some foods can stain teeth, including foods with a significant amount of acid in them as well as coffee and soda.
- Eating a diet that’s healthy with a balance of fruits and vegetables can also help improve your oral health.
General Dental Health at Your Dentist
- To keep your teeth healthy, you also need to come in to see your dentist on a regular basis:
- Visit your dentist at least one time every six months.
- Get an x-ray and cleanings on a regular basis to ensure your teeth maintain their overall health.
- Take action to correct problems as soon as possible. This includes having cavities cared for right away.
- Be sure your children see a dentist beginning with their first tooth. Look for a pediatric dentist for improved health care.
- Always tell your dentist about any pain or discomfort you have or other symptoms.
Are you ready to keep your dental health in good condition? For all of your general dental health needs, contact our skilled Staten Island dentist today at 718-535-1196. You can schedule an appointment today and get seen right away for any dental needs you have including emergency appointments.